8/9/12

second alphabet

An ongoing project is my ALAW (a letter a week) so at the end of the year I'll have two alphabets completed - I made the first alphabet into an accordion book (you can see it here).  This time I wanted to incorporate my photography as well as make a little more complicated book.

I decided on flowers as my theme since I have tons of flower pictures I've taken over the years.  My idea is to make a pocket featuring the letter of the alphabet (in the prescribed 3x3" format) and then tuck my photos of flowers starting with that letter inside the pocket.  The lettering in the background is computer generated and is a list of flowers beginning with the letter drawn.  I did a ton of research trying to find as many for each letter as I could.  (for example, the background text for the A is agapanthus, anthurium, aster, astilbe, acacia, alstromeria, acanthus, amaranthus, anemone, allium, amaryllis.  I won't have photos of all those, but of more than one!

lettering done with a parallel pen - still learning how to use it evenly

Then came the hard part of selecting which flower starting with "D" I was going to use.  I decided not to limit myself so redesigned the pockets with gussets so they could hold multiple photos.  I found this bit of leftover paper that is perfect but I don't have a lot of it so if I mess up writing a letter I don't have room for many corrections so I think I'll wait til I draw them all then go back and redo my least favorites.  Or, maybe I'll just go look for another paper :)


agapanthus and astilbe, photo size 2.5" x 5" to fit inside the 3" pockets

bird of paradise

clematis


dahlia and daffodils

Now that I've settled on a plan, I'm off and running - I've made a list of the letters I don't have a flower to go with and so now I'll be on the hunt as we go on vacation next week.  I need to fill in those holes!

They'll look something like this .....


I'm also sharing this post with Artists in Blogland.  It's a great site to share what you've been up to creatively....I usually forget to add my post, but lots of people participate so it's worth a visit.


THIS SOUNDS LIKE FUN

I came across this in my blog reading today and thought I'd share in case any of you want to join in.  Donna Downey (Simply Me) put out an international call to help her decorate her new studio space and it sounds like SO much fun!  She wants any and all takers to decorate a paintbrush that will then adorn the walls of her public restrooms.  Simple or elaborate, the style is up to you.  You can read more here.

Julie brush-    Altered paintbrush3-

These images are from her site - one on the left done by Julie Fei Fen Balzer and on right by Donna. (she could have put it in Jenn's turquoise and lime challenge this week!).  So if the idea of having an embellished paintbrush along with a card proclaiming your info hanging in the restroom gallery of Donna's studio appeals to you, visit her site for all the details.  Fun!


13 comments:

  1. That paintbrush thing does sound like fun... and I love your alphabet... glad you aren't restricting yourself to just one flower... it would have been way too limiting and is a nice way to collate all your wonderful botanical photos...xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:18 PM

    Wow, you are definitely better at planning and organizing an art project than I am. Wonderful ideas and I can't wait to see the finished product! Cool paintbrush artist card project.
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the new letters Terrie. What a truly fabulous idea! I've wimped out on doing a second alphabet...shrug. There are only so many hours in the day. Great job with the parallel pen, I just learned about them on the weekend and look like great fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab letters Terrie and what a gorgeous way to collate all your wonderful photos.
    I am a sucker for fancy fonts and lettering and defo a skill that I would like to work on for my own artwork.
    Big hugs x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flower book is going to be a truly beautiful keepsake! I just received the stunning postcard you sent me with your photo of the Japanese Garden! It looks so tranquil and green and now has a special spot in my craft room! Thank you so much!

    Thanks for the heads up on the paint brush decorating--I'll have to go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:04 AM

    Lovely lettering, I learned it once but it was never a strong suit for me. You are doing beautifully and the flowers, so pretty, that dahlia is amazing and astilbe always so pretty. Thanks for the link to paint brush art. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your book will be a book of botanical treasures! I think you have a genius idea here- your lettering is so beyond anything I can do. I have handwriting like a doctor filling out a prescription...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! Alphabeth and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your flower pictures are beautiful, and your alphabet is too pretty (not really, my caligraphy is awful). The paintbrushes are a great idea. Will check out the site.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrie!! Are you doing a paintbrush for DD? I am, I already had sent in my money for one, and am thinking of buying a brush from my local harware store and making one for me too! lol I live like an hour and a half from her, so I plan on hand delivering mine, so can't wait to see her new store. And both of us are going on vacation at the same time!! woo hoo!! I hope you have a great time! Love your new alphabet book and the concept behind the letters is awesome, you'll get a great record of all your flower photographs! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This alphabet book will be stunning! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loove your calligraphy! I have books and pens and ink but still can't make myself practice. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrie, what a wonderful idea of yours to marry the letters with your gorgeous photos! What is a "parallel" pen? Is it the same as a calligraphy pen?? I think you are doing a lovely job with it and look forward to seeing your finished alphabet/flower book.
    Oh, is that a new banner and signature on your blog? I don't think i noticed them before, but i think they both look fabulous! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!