6/19/13

a great book

I bought something from Amazon and needed a little more to reach my $25 for free shipping so of course I went to my trusty wish list.  I ordered Acrylic Solutions by Chris Cozen and Julie Prichard.  Can I just say how much I enjoyed this book?? :)  I devoured it last weekend and have gone back through the pages again.



In addition to their two styles being so different yet so complementary, the text is just filled with information and encouragement.  They talk and illustrate working with a simple glaze, about many different ways to create the dreamy layered look that's so fabulous in mixed media, how to apply and work with texture and more.

The book takes you through developing a painting from the beginning canvas (or paper or whatever) prep right through constructing layers, building a structure, adding texture, using color to emphasize and so much more. It's spiral bound so it lays nice and flat to keep beside you on the worktable as you try their ideas.

The next time you find yourself with a few extra dollars, or need to get to $25 at Amazon, or just want a beautiful, inspirational book for your art shelves, I highly recommend this book.

(No I don't know Chris or Julie, though I've seen their blog, nor do I know anyone related to this book - I just love it and you will too.)



6 comments:

  1. Well it sounds like something that I should have. I have always been an advocate of oils, but lately have tried a little with acrylic. It is much easier to clean up than oils that is for sure. But acrylic certainly gives you more opportunities for mixed medium, I would guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:36 PM

    Thanks for sharing Terrie. I've lost count of how many wonderful art technique books I've purchased from Amazon. lol I learn something from every one even if I don't actually attempt all the techniques :).
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:23 AM

    Nice review thanks! I will check it out. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's on my wish list...so thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:12 PM

    Just wanted to say thanks for this great review. I hope you have been trying some of the techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good to know! I like both of their styles and have been watching the publication announcements of this and wondering if I should buy it. Bumping it up higher on my wish list now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!